Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I FINISHED


I don't have a photo of me running and finishing the marathon yet. They will send it to me. This was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. I experienced every possible emotion one could experience in just one day. First Trey, Kim and I went to the portapotty so we wouldn't have to go during the race. LONG LINES!! It took 20 minutes to get to the start line. I started the race off pretty strong .. so strong I thought I would pass up the first water stop and make it to the next one. Well at mile 5 - there was noooooo water!! I ran to a fountain and I literally stuck my head under water. It was just so hot - the sun was beating down and I saw one person after another drop. I kept on going .. The crowd was overwhelming - they kept yelling my name. I kept going. At mile 17, I saw one of the TNT runners from Mississippi - Greg.. I stopped for the first time and walked with him. We heard they were cancelling the race. I was like.. NO WAY.. I saw gaterade.. we got separated. I started running faster - now I had to finish the race. The cops were now telling us to walk that the race was over.. the marathon was cancelled. I said, "No!!" I had to finish now. I kept running and praying. I prayed God would give me the strength to do this and He gave me hope. The nice people in Chicago along the street kept cheering for us. They sprayed us with water and gave us water to drink. Then at mile 20 - I had a choice.. the cops said I could go 3 miles or go 6 more. I went straight for the six miles. Shortly after that - they barracaded it and made people turn - not giving them the option. At this point, I didn't care if there was not a finish line. I was going to run 26.2 miles. In China Town at mile 21 - I saw Natalie.. I started CRYING uncontrollably... I wasn't going to stop, I told her - not for a second. "Your brother is up there .. he's looking for you." Another mile and I saw Trey.. I saw him and Carrie (Kim's sister). I caught up with them. I started crying again! That's when I started walking b/c the cops told us to. Carrie had gotten sick but she was going to walk the rest of the way. I didn't know at that point if they were going to divert us but we weren't going to stop. We walked for about 3 1/2 miles. That is when I saw that we had one more mile. I had to run it. I ran and I saw the finish line and I ran even faster. I heard names being called over the loud speaker. I was going to finish. I threw my hands up when I crossed the finish line. I can't describe to you how I felt when I finished. It was an incredible feeling of accomplishment. I finished the Chicago marathon (just under 6 hours) - even after it was cancelled - 45,000 people signed up for this race - 10,000 people didn't show up - 10,000 people were diverted (forced) - only 25,000 finished. I will never forget this experience. For the first time in its 30 year history, the Chicago marathon was called off in the middle of it due to heat. What a crazy, wonderful experience!! More photos will be posted tomorrow!

7 comments:

Todd, Story and Hudson said...

Jenny, you are AMAZING! What a wonderful story and accomplishment. This is something that you should be SO SO proud of. I just cried reading about you running and seeing your brother. I cannot handle that. God's power and commitment can really be an overwhelming force sometimes. How lucky for you to have such an incredible experience to share how you actually felt that power and reassurance that He is ALWAYS with you. You are the best ever. I'm so so proud of you.

Lisa Trotter said...

NO words......just very proud of you and inspired to go do something good!! :)

Renee Guest said...

uggh... here come the tears AGAIN. I wish I had better words to express what an inspiration that you are to me! YOu did it!!!

Unknown said...

"Aren't there supposed to be TWO? Somehow this line got screwed out of TWO!!!"

-- Guy wigging out in the Port-A-Potty line.

The Owen Family said...

I am loving all your stories!! What an experience! I still cannot believe that you ran that far, how amazing! I am cracking up at "Look thats...a house!?". I know this was a great experience for you and your brother to share together. so proud of you! So what's next?????

The Milan Family said...

Words cannot express what I just read Jenny. I AM SO MOVED and so damn proud of you. I just cried for the first time in a long time. That was sooooooo beautifully written. Ok, your brother totally makes me cry when I look at him!!!! He has been such a wonderful coach to all of us! GO TREY BOURN!!! AND YOU---WELL, I JUST CANNOT TALK ABOUT YOU! I am SO PROUD of you JENNY! You worked so hard! I am serious when I say I am going to get me a t-shirt that says, JENNY FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE YOU!

Nanny D said...

WOW, who knew that after all these years of knowing you that you could make me cry like you just did! That was absolutely amazing and I am SO SO proud of you .... what a wonderful accomplishment!!! Must have been so awesome to share that with Trey and have him coaching you also. YAY Jenny ... you go girl! You are such an inspiration! Love you!
Dabbs