Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 25, 2008

PRAYER REQUEST


A couple of months ago, mom noticed something on her tongue. The dentist and the oral surgeon didn't think anything was wrong. But it kept annoying her. So she went to her ENT doctor to find out what in the world it was. Her doctor didn't think anything was wrong but just in case decided to do a biopsy. Thank goodness she did. Yesterday, they called my mom and told her the bump on her tongue was oral squamous cell carcinoma (tongue cancer). This is crazy because oral squamous cell carcinoma affects about 30,000 Americans each year. Ninety percent are smokers and alcohol is also a risk factor. If you know my mom, you know she does not even come close to either category. As a matter of fact - she really is the healthiest person I know. The doctor was shocked. Anyway, the good news is they caught it in the very earliest stage (T1) Treatment is with surgery. So Tuesday, they will remove the tumor. Hopefully that will knock it out. The other part of this is that Mom got a head and neck CT scan today to see if the carcinoma of the tongue was localized ( no lymph node involvement). The good news is that there was a very small lymph node that looked suspect. She will go back in six weeks to see if it has grown. If any growth has occurred, the doctor will have to do surgery and take out all her lymph nodes. The doctor was positive and mom is doing good.
Please pray, pray, pray!!! Sending out this prayer request! Please pray that they get all the cancer out Tuesday! Thanks so much!!!!

6 comments:

Lisa Trotter said...

OMG!! I will PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!!! I just know that this will all turnout just fine. But it doesn't hurt to PRAY!!! I will be thinking about you and your mom all week!! Thanks for letting us know....and keep us posted!!!

jeremy, adelle, and ella said...

mom told me about this this morning! wow! i am so glad she was persistent! we will be praying for her! love you all!!!

Renee Guest said...

Jenny - you and your mom are constantly on my mind and in my prayers! You know I am here to do whatever you need me to. Just tell me and I'm there!! I have put her on the prayer list at church. We will not stop praying until she has beat this and it is all behind her!!
love you so much!!!
Renee

Heather Avery said...

Wow Jenny! That is amazing that she would get that type without the typical vices that cause that type of cancer. Being in the dental field now for over twelve years now, I have had several patients who have had that type and done great. I am just glad that your mom was persistant about it. I will be thinking of her and your family on Tuesday.
And I must say, Becky looks exactely the same as she did whe we were in high school! Go Becky!

The Milan Family said...

I LOVE YOU BECKY and JENNY and everything is going to be all right!

Todd, Story and Hudson said...

I LOVE you all! You know how much I love you and am thinking about you.